The winning designs of our Seasonal Greetings Card Challenge have been beautifully printed and are now available at the library.
A wonderful way to send your seasonal greetings and support your favourite library.
and what better gift could you give this holidays than a beautiful Library of Avalon mug ? – maybe two!
Just this August we have been notified of a 33% cut in our Funding!
The Glastonbury Trust has cut our grant buy £1,200 from next April and this means we will now need to raise a total of £4,000 annually to cover our rent, insurance and other basic bills!
Libraries are not in their nature commercial ventures; if they were then government would have found a way of making public libraries commercially viable.
So how can we raise the £77 a week this represents?
The Executive Committee are looking to raise the money in all manner of ways including increasing membership, hosting events, publications and merchandise.
How Can You Help?
- Renew you Membership. If you are already a Life Member you could offer to continue paying your membership fee of £24 per annum (or £12 for unwaged) by filling in a direct debit form. Many life members have had use of the library for over 25 years for a fee of only £100 and many, we are sure, feel that is already more than excellent value!
- Tell your friends about the library. Get your friends to join as members. We want to double our membership this year. By each of us recommending a friend or two to become members we can achieve that.
- Come to our Events. Be entertained, learn something new, meet new and old friends and keep in touch with what is going on.
- Make a donation of money or books. Sizeable financial donations may also be commemorated with a brass plaque!
- Buy our Merchandise. Enjoy our colourful mugs, pens and other merchandise, knowing you are supporting a worthy cause.
- Hire our facilities for your event. Our new mobile bookcases allow our space to be used more flexibly for events at a very reasonable cost.
- Become a Volunteer. Help us run this extraordinary library.
- Become a Consultant Librarian and join an élite group of authorities on esoteric subjects.
- Get creatively involved!
The Library as a Creative, Social and Educational Hub
Are you interested by any of the following projects we are launching? Or maybe you have a project idea that might help us raise money, membership, public awareness or all three?
- Running a series of symposia, lectures and other events with links to our book collection and purpose.
- Running other appropriate events at or in support of the library
- Producing a regular newsletter with reviews, news of relevant events and publications as well as the continually updated library book wish list and titles for sale list.
- Producing and selling various publications for tourists and pilgrims.
- Producing and selling souvenir merchandise (mugs, pens and bookmarks etc).
- Obtaining and displaying facsimile copies of some of the most important and beautiful manuscripts originally housed in the famous Glastonbury Abbey Library.
If you would like to do any of the above then just contact the Secretary:
Richard Newman mobile 07792584968 or email firstname.lastname@example.org